Well, last Thursday, Trent Toone from the Deseret News wrote an article entitled, “Blogging Bishops: 2 Mormon Men Talk About Sharing the Gospel Online” and featured my blog, along with the blog of a currently serving bishop from Idaho. It is a great article in a series of solid articles regarding sharing the gospel online in the LDS world. I’ve noticed some interesting things since the article went online.
1. The digital version of the article has spread to many parts of the internet. When I search blogging bishops, mickelson, and gospel all together, I find that the article has been linked on Facebook, and then on all kinds of pages around the web.
2. The number of messages I’ve received has increased drastically. I mean, I really don’t get many messages here on the blog, but I get a number of messages on Facebook. Since the article on Deseret News, I’ve received a number of emails, a number of Facbook messages, and a few more messages right here.
3. The number of people “following” the blog increased more than ever. Now, more people get an email notifying them when the blog updates (you can too, if you want…).
4. People have clicked on way more links from my blog. A number of people clicked on the link to get a free copy of The Book of Mormon or have gone to Mormon.org. Awesome.
5. The number of countries that are represented by visitors to the blog exploded. Here is the last 30 days’ report on countries where readers have come from (In order of popularity):
Korea, Republic of
United Arab Emirates
Korea? Hong Kong? Russia? That’s awesome. Now, there is a reasonable chance that some of the visitors are just computers coming to the blog with no human attached, but I’ve received a surprisingly low amount of spam-comments, and a few messages from around the world.
6. The number of visitors and views increased dramatically. On the day the article went online, I had over a thousand views from over 400 visitors. That is a four-fold increase from normal. The numbers haven’t stayed there, but they are consistently higher each day compared with a couple weeks ago…
7. There have been a number of people who have inquired about how to do a blog or improve their blog.
8. There has been an increased number of people who have shared my blog online in one way or another.
Anyhow, all this is due to Trent’s great article and the power of the internet as opposed to my writing. I totally get that. But I’m thankful that more people have access to stuff that may be helpful or encouraging.
These views are personal, and are not the official views of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...