The Day Nephi Died…

hinckley viewingRecently I found myself pausing on a verse that we typically don’t pause at:

“And it came to pass that Nephi died.” (Jacob 1:12)

I would really, really, like to read a few journal entries from other Nephites written on that day. I suppose journal writing wasn’t seen the same back then as we see it today, but I’m guessing there would be some very touching things recorded regarding people’s feelings about Nephi, tender mercies experienced the week Nephi died, and testimonies.

I remember President Gordon B. Hinckley’s passing. While reading about Nephi’s passing, I went back, searching for what I wrote about President Hinckley’s passing. Here’s what I found:

“January 27, 2008:

…When we heard the news, I raised the boys from bed (Maddie and Ashley were already asleep) to watch the news. Later, Landon came upstairs in tears because he had never seen Pres. Hinckley with his own eyes. We hugged and talked about the importance of having a real testimony born of the spirit of the calling of a prophet in the latter days…”

I also found this:

“February 7, 2008:

When Landon came up quite upset about the passing of Pres. Hinckley two Sundays ago, I secretly prayed that Heavenly Father would “fix it” somehow. Maybe Pres. Hinckley could appear to Landon in a dream (or something along those lines)? I didn’t know if my prayer was an appropriate one or not, but the next morning Landon seemed to feel all right about things, so I decided to let it go and pray about other stuff (I’m developing quite a list). Two days later I learned that the viewing for our prophet would be Thursday and Friday at the Conference Center in SLC, so I asked Landon and Parker if they were interested in going down. They were very excited! I kinda thought this would help Landon “be in the same room” as the prophet (the prophet’s body, anyway) like he wanted. We left our home at about 4 pm, drove for an hour or so, caught TRAX to the Conference Center, and walked to find the end of the line.

We stood in line for 5 1/2 hours. I cannot explain how cold it was. 

I’m not comparing our experience to the pioneers coming west, but after about 3 hours I started thinking this was some kind of learning experience. Could I survive one more hour? Could I just make it to the next pillar in line? Would the feeling come back in my legs? Again, it was so cold. Oh, and I didn’t bring any cold weather jackets for me or the boys…minor detail. We stood in this line that never seemed to end. We shivered like crazy. We were a little hungry. We ran around to try to get warm. We huddled together to block each other from the wind.

At one point, hours into the wait, I said to Landon, “You say the word, and we’ll go home”. He said he was fine, and Parker agreed, so we kept standing there. I asked again an hour later, and they both said they wanted to stay. A little while later I, again, explained that we could go and eat and be warm and go home to bed, and Landon said (a little teary-eyed), “Dad, I’m not leaving until I see what I came here to see.”

At that point I promised Landon that we would stand there all night if that was what was required.

At 10:30 pm, we stood right there next to the body of our beloved prophet, with Parker up in one arm, and Landon under my other arm. We looked at the prophet, looked at each other, smiled, hugged and drove home. There was a very, very warm feeling between the three of us.

Prayer answered….”

Be Encouraging…


These views are personal, and are not the official views of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s